Armed police swoop with 12 men arrested after incident leaves 3 in hospital

Twelve men have been arrested following a “serious violent incident” on a Cardiff street left three people in hospital, police have said.

At least 50 officers, including armed units, rushed to the scene in the Rumney area of the Welsh city, while a helicopter flew over head on Sunday afternoon.

South Wales Police have confirmed a dozen men have been detained on suspicion of violent disorder, assault and possession of offensive weapons following yesterday’s disturbance.

A heavy police presence remains at the scene today following reports of the incident at around 4.08pm yesterday, with sniffer dogs also now involved.

Several emergency service vehicles are present and a wider police cordon has been put in place, with attention also having moved to Wentloog Corporate Park business park.

A Section 60 order, giving officers stop and search powers, was put in place from 5pm yesterday and lasts 24 hours, covering the surrounding area.

Cardiff council’s highways team had been called by South Wales Police on Sunday to close off a stretch of road for public safety reasons.

Some people who live in the nearby Travellers’ site claim they have been stopped from returning to their homes.

One member of the community said they’ve been forced to spend the night in their van with a three-month-old baby.

A police spokesperson said: “The notice was imposed following a serious disturbance earlier today [Sunday]. It will remain in place while enquiries continue with the intention of preventing further violence.

“Section 60 is aimed at preventing serious violence, to find dangerous instruments or to apprehend persons carrying weapons.”

It is the second time in four days that such a notice has been implemented in the area.

The first was put into force at 7pm on Wednesday, before being lifted at 7am on Thursday.

A Welsh Ambulance Service spokesperson said yesterday: “We were called to the Wentloog Road area of Cardiff yesterday, Sunday March 21 at 4.08pm to reports of injured persons following a violent incident.

“We sent a rapid response vehicle, two emergency ambulances, our Hazardous Area Response Team and our Emergency Medical Retrieval and Transfer Service.

“Two patients were taken by road to University Hospital Wales, Cardiff for further treatment.”